Recommended Restaurants: Superb Spots to Eat and Drink
New York is one of the culinary capitals of the world — and for good reason. The city's multi-ethnic heritage has given us endless flavors to savor, and its creative energy continues to put a fresh spin on existing basics.
Places to eat and drink abound in the city, but you have limited time when you visit. So, we've compiled a list of our favorite restaurants, bars and cafes. And with Hotel Pennsylvania's central location, you're never far from an amazing find.
Within the Hotel
- Statler Grill. Seafood and Steakhouse.
- Lindy’s famous cheesecake is a must-have for all New York City visitors.
- City Perk serves beverages and desserts and is open 24-7.
- Tim Horton. Affordable coffee shop, perfect for when you are on the go.
- Charley’s grilled subs. This American chain is famous for their Philly cheese steak sandwiches.
- Nathan’s world famous hot dogs are a piece of American history.
Right Outside Hotel Penn
- Ayza. Everyone's favorite wine and chocolate bar.
- Mustang Sally's. A great place for drinks.
- Nick & Stef's Steakhouse and Bar. A classic steakhouse close to Madison Square Garden.
- Gray's Papaya is known for NYC hot dogs.
- Heartland Brewery & Rotisserie. A wide selection of fine beers, rotisserie chicken and sandwiches.
- Macy's Cellar Bar & Grill. Under the world-famous Macy's flagship store, the bar and grill serves up traditional bar food.
- Pinkberry features delicious, healthy yogurts.
- Uncle Jack's Steakhouse has a nice range of seafood options in addition to classic steaks.
- Billy Bakery. Cupcakes to die for.
Times Square / Theater District
- Becco is an Italian restaurant with great prices, generous portions and a refined yet friendly atmosphere.
- John's Pizza has some of the best pies in town.
- Ruby Foo's Dim Sum and Sushi Palace offers Pan-Asian cuisine.
- The Laugh Factory serves up comedy with the drinks.
- Churrascaria Platforma is a Brazilian steakhouse with a prix fixe menu and fun atmosphere.
- Bond 45 is a classic New York Italian restaurant featuring steak, pizzas and pastas.
Union Square / Flatiron
- Cafe Luna. A fun, casual restaurant in the park, serving light fare and drinks.
- The Coffee Shop. A great people watching restaurant any time of the day or night, and one of the better casual dining options in the neighborhood.
- Cibar is a low key bar with an outdoor garden.
- Flute Bar. A champagne lounge and bar.
- Flatiron Bar. Lovely decor, great ambience and excellent cocktails.
- Boathouse Cafe in the Park is another good Central Park restaurant.
- Try Bryant Park for a fun restaurant that's right by New York Public Library.
- Amy Ruth's has great soul food and Southern cuisine.
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is known for their ribs and briskets.
- Melba's American Comfort Food serves up mouth-watering soul and Southern comfort food dishes.
Meat Packing District / SoHo / Chelsea
- Magnolia Cupcakes. Best in New York.
- Brandy Library. Specializing in rare spirits, but also offering an extensive range of cocktails, wine, beer and hors d'oeuvres.
- Bar 89. Fashionable SoHo bar known for fruit-infused martinis and hearty sandwiches and salads.
- Txikito. Basque tapas restaurant, with great food.
- Cafeteria. A hip space with great American comfort food.
- Aurora. Wonderful Italian restaurant.
- Basta Pasta. A Chelsea restaurant offering Japanese/Italian fusion cuisine: classic dishes with a fresh twist.