Superb Spots to Eat and Drink
New York is one of the culinary capitals of the world — and for good reason. The city's multi-ethnic heritage has given us endless flavors to savor, and its creative energy continues to put a fresh spin on existing basics.
Places to eat and drink abound in the city, but you have limited time when you visit. So, we've compiled a list of our favorite restaurants, bars and cafes. And with Hotel Pennsylvania's central location, you're never far from an amazing find.
Within the Hotel
- Statler Grill. Seafood and Steakhouse.
- Lindy’s famous cheesecake is a must-have for all New York City visitors.
- City Perk serves beverages and desserts and is open 24-7.
- Tim Hortons. Affordable coffee shop, perfect for when you are on the go.
- Charley’s grilled subs. This American chain is famous for their Philly cheese steak sandwiches.
- Nathan’s world famous hot dogs are a piece of American history.
Right Outside Hotel Penn
- Ayza. Everyone's favorite wine and chocolate bar.
- Mustang Sally's. A great place for drinks.
- Nick & Stef's Steakhouse and Bar. A classic steakhouse close to Madison Square Garden.
- Gray's Papaya is known for NYC hot dogs.
- Heartland Brewery & Rotisserie. A wide selection of fine beers, rotisserie chicken and sandwiches.
- Macy's Cellar Bar & Grill. Under the world-famous Macy's flagship store, the bar and grill serves up traditional bar food.
- Pinkberry features delicious, healthy yogurts.
- Uncle Jack's Steakhouse has a nice range of seafood options in addition to classic steaks.
- Billy Bakery. Cupcakes to die for.
Upper East Side
Times Square / Theater District
- Becco is an Italian restaurant with great prices, generous portions and a refined yet friendly atmosphere.
- John's Pizza has some of the best pies in town.
- Ruby Foo's Dim Sum and Sushi Palace offers Pan-Asian cuisine.
- The Laugh Factory serves up comedy with the drinks.
- Churrascaria Platforma is a Brazilian steakhouse with a prix fixe menu and fun atmosphere.
- Bond 45 is a classic New York Italian restaurant featuring steak, pizzas and pastas.
Little Italy / Chinatown
- Ferrara's offers an amazing array of desserts.
- Amazing 66 is a Chinese restaurant with a delicious, inventive menu.
- Joe's Shanghai is known for their delicious dumplings.
- Lombardi's Pizza is consistently ranked by New Yorkers as one of Manhattan's top pizzerias.
- Angelo's of Mulberry Street serves old-school Italian homecooked-style dishes.
- Da Nico is a charming spot for Italian cuisine.
- Penang Restaurant serves delightful Malaysian cuisine.
- Golden Palace features great Dim Sum.
- Congee Village is best known for their congee, a rice blend porridge.
Union Square / Flatiron
- Cafe Luna. A fun, casual restaurant in the park, serving light fare and drinks.
- The Coffee Shop. A great people watching restaurant any time of the day or night, and one of the better casual dining options in the neighborhood.
- Cibar is a low key bar with an outdoor garden.
- Flute Bar. A champagne lounge and bar.
- Flatiron Bar. Lovely decor, great ambience and excellent cocktails.
- DeSantos Restaurant. Known for authentic, traditional Italian food, featuring seafood.
- Spotted Pig. British and Italian food featuring local ingredients.
- Salt & Battery. A British fish and chips restaurant.
- Tea & Sympathy. Quintessential English dishes. Perfect for brunch served with tea.
- AOC (l'Ail ou la Cuisse). Local French bistro with traditional cuisine. A low-key atmosphere with excellent wine, meats and cheese dishes.
- Caliente Cab Co. Extensive Mexican menu, and famous margaritas.
- Chocolate Bar. A shrine to coffee and chocolate, with desserts, baked goods and, of course, chocolate bars.
- Jekyll & Hyde Club. American bar food with a fun and entertaining twist—costumed servers and animatronics hi-jinks.
Upper West Side
- Zabars and Fairway. Gourmet epicurean emporiums, specializing in the finest smoked fish, caviar, coffee and cheese. Grab a picnic here and head to the park.
- Columbus Circle has cool jazz clubs, restaurants and wine tasting.
- H & H Bagels features the best bagels around.
- 79th St. Boat Basin is great for drinks, with a view overlooking the Hudson River.
- Beard Papa's has world-famous cream puffs.
- David Burke Townhouse offers classic gourmet cuisine with a fresh inventiveness.
- Boathouse Cafe in the Park is another good Central Park restaurant.
- Try Bryant Park for a fun restaurant that's right by New York Public Library.
Battery Park / Wall Street / Tribeca
- L'Artusi offers Italian dining, cocktails and a great wine list.
- Amy Ruth's has great soul food and Southern cuisine.
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is known for their ribs and briskets.
- Melba's American Comfort Food serves up mouth-watering soul and Southern comfort food dishes.
East Village / Lower East Side / Nolita
- Yaffa Cafe. Cool restaurant with reasonably-priced food and a relaxed vibe.
- McSorleys. New York's oldest saloon, McSorley's has been serving the public since 1854. Technically, though, only half the public: women were allowed into the bar starting in the 1970s.
- ChikaLicious. An amazing top notch dessert bar on East 10th Street that includes a 3 course prix fixe dessert offering.
- Rayuela Restaurant. Trendy, contemporary Latino cuisine.
- Cafe Habana. This cozy, popular Cuban restaurant is a local favorite, with excellent food.
- Spitzer's Corner. A local hotspot serving haute bar food, and featuring eighty international beers.
- Eileen's cheesecake. A long-time favorite known for scrumptious cheesecakes.
- 'inoteca. Small-plate Italian fare, with great food and a good wine list.
- Rice to Riches. A bonanza for rice pudding lovers, specializing in many different flavors of rice pudding.
- Freeman's Restaurant. American traditional cuisine.
Meat Packing District / SoHo / Chelsea
- Magnolia Cupcakes. Best in New York.
- Brandy Library. Specializing in rare spirits, but also offering an extensive range of cocktails, wine, beer and hors d'oeuvres.
- Bar 89. Fashionable SoHo bar known for fruit-infused martinis and hearty sandwiches and salads.
- Txikito. Basque tapas restaurant, with great food.
- Cafeteria. A hip space with great American comfort food.
- Aurora. Wonderful Italian restaurant.
- Basta Pasta. A Chelsea restaurant offering Japanese/Italian fusion cuisine: classic dishes with a fresh twist.