With Christmas trees, holiday attractions and display windows visible all over the city, it truly is the most wonderful time of the year!
Every year, the city is transformed into a winter wonderland, where even the locals can’t help but love the typically touristy attractions. The bright lights of New York burn even brighter when the beautiful holiday lights begin to take over the city. As the inspiration and backdrop of several classic Christmas stories including A Christmas Carol and numerous blockbuster films such as Elf, New York really is the most magical place during the holiday season!
There’s nothing quite like taking in the Christmas lights while buddled up with a warm beverage in hand. Throw in a horse drawn carriage ride around Central Park, and it’s no wonder why the holidays are so much better in the city that never sleeps.
We’ve put together a list of some of our favorite must see attractions and events this holiday season.
- Rockefeller Tree lighting ceremony;
- Brooklyn Flea’s holiday Bazaar;
- Holiday Train Show at the New York Botanical Garden;
- Holiday window displays unveiling ceremonies at New York’s most notable department stores;
- The New York City Ballet’s production of the Nutcracker;
- Radio City Christmas Spectacular featuring the iconic Rockettes;
- Skating at Byrant Park, Rockefeller Center or Central Park;
- FAO Schwarz, New York’s ultimate toy store;
- Macy’s Santaland village;
- The American Museum of Natural History’s origami tree;
- Time Warner Center’s light show;
- Winter’s Eve at Lincoln Square, where the streets come alive with performers and more;
- Grand Central Terminal’s Holiday Gift Fair;
- And many more!
Of course you’ll want to make sure to grab a cup of hot chocolate while strolling around the city. Our suggestion is to walk around Central Park after a fresh blanket of snow has fallen.